Finding and Exploring Classes in Smalltalk System Browser
To learn how to use the developer environment tools for Cincom Visualworks 9.0, I'll be going through each of the Cincom Smalltalk Product Tutorials and keeping notes along the way.
I'm currently on the second tutorial, which shows us how to find and explore classes in the System Browser. Here are my notes for the System Browser tutorial.
- In the packages pane, any thing that can be expanded out (a little right-facing arrow to the right of the name) is a bundle. Packages are the names that can't be further expanded.
- When you click on a package, the class panel will show all of the classes inside of that package. Indented classes are sub classes of the parent class in the hierarchy.
- When you click on a class, there will be a comment in the information panel that explains what the class is and does, and ho to use it.
- Once you have clicked on a class, the method category panel will show a list of different method categories. The panel is further subdivided into different type tabs (instance methods, class methods and shared variables).
- If you want to create an instance of a class, you need to click on the 'class' side method type tab in the method category panel. This will show you methods like how to access, create an instance of, and test the class you are looking into.
- You can use the workspace to try out creating a class and implemeting it's methods.